Download the PDF version of our Call for Papers (A4 format)
Download the PDF version of our Call for Papers (letter format)
ICDL-EpiRob is a unique conference gathering researchers from computer science, robotics, psychology and developmental studies to share knowledge and research on how humans and animals develop sensing, reasoning and actions. This includes taking advantage of interaction with social and physical environments and how cognitive and developmental capabilities can be transferred to computing systems and robotics. This approach goes hand in hand with the goals of both understanding human and animal development and applying this knowledge to improve future intelligent technology, including for robots that will be in close interaction with humans.
In this ninth edition of the conference we invite submissions that explore, extend, and consolidate the interdisciplinary boundaries of this exciting research field.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- principles and theories of development and learning;
- development of skills in biological systems and robots;
- nature vs nurture, developmental stages;
- models on the contributions of interaction to learning;
- non-verbal and multi-modal interaction;
- models on active learning;
- architectures for lifelong learning;
- emergence of body and affordance perception;
- analysis and modelling of human motion and state;
- models for prediction, planning and problem solving;
- models of human-human and human-robot interaction;
- emergence of verbal and non-verbal communication;
- epistemological foundations and philosophical issues;
- robot prototyping of human and animal skills;
- ethics and trust in computational intelligence and robotics;
- social learning in humans, animals, and robots.
Accepted and presented full six-page paper submissions will be included in the conference proceedings published by IEEE Xplore.
Regular-length papers can also be submitted to the “MODELbot” paper challenge, to be considered for the MODELbot challenge award, see details here.
The authors of the best accepted papers will be invited to submit an extended version to be reviewed for inclusion in a “2019 ICDL-EpiRob conference” special issue of IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems (TCDS).
Call for Tutorials / Workshops (Closed)
We invite experts in different areas to organise either a tutorial or a workshop to be held on the first day of the conference. Tutorials will provide insights into specific topics through hands-on training and interactive experiences. Workshops will extend to a half or full day and could include invited speakers, discussions with a smaller community, and independent submissions.
Tutorial and workshop submission are now closed!
Important dates (tentative):
- Tutorial/workshop submission deadline: October 30, 2018
- Paper submission deadline:
February 22, 2019, 4 March 2019 (extended and final deadline)
- Author notification: May 1, 2019
- Camera ready due: June 1, 2019
- Conference: August 19–22nd 2019
Go to the submission page.
- General chairs: Jim Torresen, Kerstin Dautenhahn
- Program chairs: Kai Olav Ellefsen, Katharina J. Rohlfing
- Finance / Website Chairs: Kyrre Glette, Charles Martin
- Publicity chairs: Ryo Kurazume, Bruno Castro da Silva, Kazi Shah Nawaz Ripon
- Bridge chair: Tetsuya Ogata, Emre UgurLocal chairs: Bruno Laeng, Tor Endestad
More information about the committee.